A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I made a retreat to Conception Abbey. During our time, we created for ourselves a rule of life; some things we already do, others things that will challenge us to grow in the way of Christ.
- Vox Dei Community: We live into a rhythm by gathering with our church-community, remaining available and vulnerable.
- Liturgy: We live into a rhythm of participation in the worship of God, adding our creative voice and abilities.
- Breaking of Bread: We practice gathering together for a meal as a sacred experience.
- Creating space to host Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: Through daily, fixed hours of prayer.
- The way of the Gospel: Living in the way that is described in the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5-7; Luke 6:20-49) and as described in Paul’s letter to the Philippian church (Phil. 2:1-11).
- The way of Submission: Mutual submission where we do not seek our own interest but the interest of others. Practicing listening, showing respect and reverence for one another.
- The way of Silence: Intentionally creating spaces of silence to encounter God.
- The way of Simplicity: Only have what you need give the rest away. Being aware of fair trade and environment purchasing products that help the welfare of the farmer, artist, business, and earth.
- The way of Peace and Hospitality: The offering of peace to one another and receiving others as though they are Christ.
- Work/Vocation: Intentionally seeking an occupation that uses our gifts, talents, and passion. Working while practicing the presence of God in every task.
- Community Engagement and Relationship: Cultivating relationships with family, neighbors, community, and world.
- The work of Justice: Participating in or starting new works of justice, mercy, and reconciliation.